To support change and encourage growth in a calm and nurturing environment, while challenging false beliefs and validating struggles.
My goal is to collaborate with you to find more peace and balance in your life, while working "outside the box" to improve your coping and communication skills. Together, we will identify your strengths and discuss ways for you to more effectively emotionally and physically connect with your loved ones. Many folks enjoy receiving homework or experiments to try between sessions so that together, we can determine what is helpful or what may not work for you.
PHILOSOPHY + BELIEFS
- You can overcome challenges and I will use my positive attitude, encouragement and humor as motivation for change.
- Your mind/body connection and holistic health and wellness is important. I will encourage you to consider yoga, meditation, exercise and eating healthy foods as part of your overall well-being and personal growth development.
- You have the power and strength to move forward. We are human and we all make mistakes. We are doing our absolute best with what we have available. We must stop "shoulding" on ourselves and beating ourselves up.
- Equality and social justice for all are necessary. I am a LGBTQI-Welcoming + Affirming therapist.
TOPICS + ISSUES
As a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist trained in Family Systems, I am supportive with relationship concerns and struggles such as:
- Couples + Relationship Connection
- Sexual Health + Intimacy
- Teen Male Issues
- Musicians + Performing Artists
- Mindfulness + Meditation
- Depression + Grief + Loss
We will collaborate together on common goals
You will be involved and invested in your progress
You are the expert about your self, your relationships, your teen and your art. I serve as a guide to help you navigate through choppy and unpredictable waters in our journey of life.
Prior to launching my solo private practice, I was at a group private practice for over three years. Before that, I had been an outpatient therapist and had worked over ten years as an in-home skills therapist. I knew I wanted to be a therapist when I volunteered with Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Minnesota in 1996. Witnessing positive change under challenging circumstances with teens and families was an experience that shaped me as a therapist and also as a person. With nearly two decades of working with culturally diverse populations in various settings, I bring years of experience and perspective. Helping to support families, teens and young adults in schools, juvenile detention centers, during in-home counseling and with outpatient agencies has been a highlight of my career.
I received my Masters degree in Marriage & Family Therapy from St. Mary's University of Minnesota in the Twin Cities. I also received my undergraduate degree in Social Sciences at St. Mary's of Minnesota in Winona, Minnesota. While there, I performed and toured Mexico with our Big Band and Improv Combo Jazz groups. I enjoyed living with a host family in Mexico City where I studied and learned about Spanish language and culture.
HOBBIES + ACTIVITIES
My wife and I enjoy spending time outdoors hiking with our dog. I am also a professional musician and trombonist in two different independent bands. I own a wedding entertainment company where I am the lead DJ and play trombone in our jazz group. Some other interests include photography, painting, acting, hiking, sports, cooking, comedy, live music, travel and spending quality time with friends and family.
Call me now for your FREE 15-minute phone consult to see if we would be a good fit for each other!